Thursday, May 21, 2009

Tell Me Your Story


My apologies for the lack of entries recently. It's not that we've been bowled over with clients throwing themselves at our door like voracious zombies (that one is for you, James!).

Actually, we've had several phone calls. But many are those we like to call "Story Tellers."

Take "Mike," for example. He calls me on a Saturday (at this point, we'd answer the phone for a client on Christmas Eve if we had to). He's talking really fast, something about a physical illness he had which was something something with his Veteran's benefits.... Finally I interject and ask for his name and telephone number, politely stating that I'll need it in case we get disconnected.

He tells me his name is Mike. He gives me his area code, then goes off on another long tangent about how the Veteran's Administration misdiagnosed him, yada yada yada. I interject a second time, explaining it's a Saturday and I actually have to meet a friend shortly, but I'd be happy to talk to him more on Monday, if he'd just give me the rest of that phone number.

He hangs up. I kid you not!

Now seriously people, did he get anything out of yaking my ear off for five minutes? I don't know. But, I've run this by several other attorneys and they agree it's pretty common. Some people just want to talk, share their story.

One more thing they don't teach in those non-existant Law Firm Management classes at law school.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

If you've heard this story before, don't stop me, because I'd like to hear it again.
~Groucho Marx

No comments: